Egypt Population 2013

egypt-population-2013Egypt Population 2013

The current population of the Arab Republic of Egypt is estimated to be approximately 84.55 million people, which is an increase of about 2.4% from the last record of the population. Historically, the population of the country has always been greater than that of Iran and Saudi Arabia. However, throughout the 1990s, the population of Egypt and Iran became quite close until the 21st century when the population of Egypt began to separate from Iran’s population. Based on the total land area and the total population of the country, the population density of the country is estimated to be about 218 people per square mile.

Demographics of Egypt

The major ethnic group in the Arabic Republic of Egypt is native Egyptians and also Arabs. In certain parts of the country, there is a community of those that identify as Nubian and those that identify as Berber. However, the mix of the Arab and Egyptian cultures characterizes the current population and culture. The official language of the country is Modern Standard Arabic. 68% of the population speaks Egyptian Arabic, while 29% of the population speaks Sa’idi Arabic.

Religion in Egypt

The government in the Arabic Republic of Egypt is known to have the highest restrictions on religion in the world. The government is known to give favoritism to the Islamic faith and even persecutes those who practice something other than Islam. Egyptians seem to favor having the Islamic Shariah law as the governing law of the country. About 90% of the country practices Islam; of the remaining 10%, 9% practices Coptic Christianity.

Sports in Egypt

Most of the sports played in Egypt today were also played in Ancient Egypt. There are sketches and drawings on stone of Ancient Egyptians participating in such sports. Some popular sports include wrestling, weightlifting, swimming, rowing, and some other games that involve balls. The scenes depicted on the walls of pyramids and temples excavated in Egypt bear a testimony to the fact that ancient Egyptian people were very much involved in sports activities. With Egypt’s active participation in the Summer Olympics since 1912, weightlifting, boxing, wrestling, and swimming have received considerable encouragement. Sport has always enjoyed a special position in the history of Egypt and Egyptians have always shown a deep interest in Olympic Games. Egypt has won the maximum number of gold, silver and bronze medals in weightlifting, diving, boxing, diving, and Taekwondo. Egypt has, however, boycotted the Olympics for political reasons, on several occasions.

Egyptian Pyramids

There are no more famous ancient sites within Egypt, or for that matter elsewhere in the world, than the Great Pyramids at Giza. The pyramids of Egypt, some of which are among the largest man-made constructions ever conceived, constitute one of the most potent and enduring symbols of Ancient Egyptian civilization. They are the icon most associated with the Egypt. They have been both the main destination for tourists, and a source of egypt-population-2013-pyramidsimaginative thought to the world for over three thousand years. Their massive scale reflects the unique role that the pharaoh, or king, played in ancient Egyptian society. Egyptian pyramids were originally built to serve as tombs for kings and queens. After a ruler died, his or her body was carefully treated and wrapped to preserve it as a mummy.

Egypt’s Population Growth

Historical Population of Egypt

The population of Egypt has historically increased over the last half of a century.  The population growth has not wavered or slowed down at any point, but continued to show a patter of exponential increase over the years.

Year Population (millions)
1960 27.90
1965 31.77
1970 35.92
1975 40.13
1980 44.95
1985 50.66
1990 56.84
1995 62.06
2000 67.65
2005 74.2
2010 81.12
2011 82.54

Projected Population of Egypt

The population of the Arabic Republic of Egypt is expected to continue the trend that it has historically exhibited.  The birth rates start off high at about 22.3 births per 1000 people and decrease to about 13.1 births per 1000 people.  However, the death rates only range from about 5.2 deaths per 1000 people to 7.3 deaths per 1000 people.  But also, the net migration rate remains negative throughout the next 37 years.

Year Population (millions) Percent Increase
2015 88.148 4.3%
2020 94.785 7.5%
2025 100.899 6.5%
2030 106.459 5.5%
2035 111.556 4.8%
2040 116.132 4.1%
2045 120.096 3.4%
2050 123.361 2.7%
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.