Austin Population 2013

austin-population-2013Austin Population 2013

The current population of the city of Austin, Texas is estimated to be about 842,592, which is an increase of about 2.7% from the last record of the population. The city of Austin is the fourth-largest city in the entire state of Texas and the eleventh-largest city in the United State of America. It is also the second-largest state capital in the country. Based on the total land area and the total population of the city, the population density of Austin is about 2,828 people per square mile.

Demographics of Austin

About 7% of the population of the city of Austin is under the age of 5 years, while about 7% of the population is 65 years and older. Also, about 49.4% of the population is female, while the other 50.6% of the population is male.

The largest racial demographic in the city is the white demographic, which makes up about 49% of the population. The next largest demographic is the Hispanic or Latino group, which makes up about 35% of the population. The Black or African American population makes up only 8% of the population. Also, the Asian population of the city is about 6% of the overall population.

About 86% of the population, ages 25 years and older, have at least their high school degree. About 45% of the population, though, ages 25 years and older, have at least their bachelor’s degree from some college or university.

Music in Austin Texas

The city of Austin is home to countless numbers of music festivals every year. Three of the biggest festivals include SXSW Festival, ACL Festival, and Reggae Fest. SXSW is a festival in March, which includes a large variety of musical talent. ACL, otherwise known as Austin City Limits, takes place in October with musical acts for 3 days on 6 national stages. These musical artists range from the most well known names to the most obscure artists that only a select few will know. Lastly, Reggae Fest is a 3 day festival, consisting of many different reggae artists.

Religion in Austin

Only about 46% of the population identifies with a religious affiliation, compared to the national average of about 49%. The largest affiliation is the Roman Catholic Church, which makes up about 17.5% of the population. The next largest affiliation is the Baptist Church, which makes up about 11% of the population. The Islamic population is larger than the average city, as about 1.2% of the population is Muslim. Also, about 1.4% of the population identifies with an Eastern religion.

austin-population-texas-longhornsUniversity of Texas

One of the main state schools in the state of Texas is located in the city of Austin. The University of Texas in Austin mascot is the Longhorns. The sports program at the school has historically proven successful. The Longhorns participate in the Big 12 Conference and have won more than 40 national championships in the various athletic programs it has. Specifically, the football team has won four national championships, which is the second-most in NCAA all-time victories.

Austin Texas Time Warp

Historical Population of Austin

Over the course of the past few decades, the population has increased every year, except from 2001 to 2002. The population took a huge jump from 1999 to 2000. Also, the population of Austin has been less than the populations of both San Antonio and Dallas.

Year Population
1990 497,154
1991 509,157
1992 522,086
1993 534,563
1994 544,292
1995 555,092
1996 562,795
1997 567,173
1998 576,608
1999 587,873
2000 672,241
2001 685,684
2002 684,634
2003 687,103
2004 696,384
2005 708,293
2006 730,729
2007 749,120
2008 767,201
2009 786,386
2010 795,378
2011 820,611
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.