Karachi Population 2013

karachi-population-2013Karachi Population 2013

The current estimate of the population of the city of Karachi, Pakistan is about 13 million, which is an increase of about 39% from the end of the 20th century.  The city is the largest city in Pakistan and the third largest city in the entire world behind Istanbul, Turkey and Shanghai, China. Karachi was the capital of Pakistan until the city of Islamabad was constructed as the capital.  Based on the total land area and the total population of the city, the population density of Karachi is about 9,545 people per square mile.

Demographics of Karachi

The diverse population of Karachi is largely due to long-distance immigration. Muslim refugees from South Asia, Urdu speaking people from India, Persians from Iran, and other Arabs from Middle Eastern nations have all flocked to the city, diversifying the city. Some of the main ethnic groups include Sindhis, Muhajirs, which are the refugees from India, Punjabis, Pashtun, and Kashmiris. The city is really home to many minority communities from all over the world.

The most recent census that gathered linguistic data estimated that the most commonly spoken language is Urdu (about 49% of the population). The second most commonly spoken language, making up about 14% of the population, is Punjabi. About 11.4% of the population speaks Pastho. Lastly, about 7.2% of the population speaks Sindhi.
The city has more males than females; the last census that recorded the gender breakdown recorded about 46% of the population is female and the other 54% of the population is male. Also, about 38% of the population is under the age of 15 years. 67% of the population, ages 10 years and older, is considered literate. 71% of the male population is literate, compared to 63% of the female population as literate.

Religion in Karachi

The largest religious organization throughout the city of Karachi is Islam, making up about 96.5% of the population. The next largest religious organization is Christianity, which makes up about 2.4% of the population. Hinduism only makes up 0.9% of the population.

Sports in Karachi

The city of Karachi has four professional sports teams. Two of the teams play cricket and two of the teams play football (American soccer). The Karachi Dolphins play cricket in the Faysal Bank T20 Cup in the Pakistan Super League T20. The home stadium for the Dolphins is National Stadium. The Karachi Zebras play cricket and they participate in the Pakistan Super League. Founded in 2006, their home stadium is National Stadium. The Karachi Energy (Bazigar) play football in the Geo Super Football League. Their home stadium is People’s Football Stadium. Lastly, the Karachi HBL FC play football in the Pakistan Premier League.

Karachi Visit

Historical Population of Karachi

The city of Karachi has experienced large population growth over the years, especially in mid-20th century.  The population did not even reach 1 million until the late 1940s.  Since then, the population has grown to exceed 13 million and is still increasing today.

Year Population
1881 73,560
1891 105,199
1901 136,297
1911 186,771
1921 244,162
1931 300,799
1941 435,887
1951 1,137,667
1961 2,044,044
1972 3,606,746
1981 5,437,984
1998 9,802,134
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.