Indianapolis Population 2013

indianapolis-population-2013Indianapolis Population 2013

The current population of the city of Indianapolis, Indiana is estimated to be approximately 835,000, which is an increase of about 0.8%. The city has fallen from the 12th most populous city in the country to the 13th most populous city. However, the city is the most populous city in the state of Indiana. Based on the total population and the total land area of the city, the population density of Indianapolis is about 2,287 people per square mile.

Demographics of Indianapolis

About 8% of the population of Indianapolis under the age of 5 years, and about 11% of the population is 65 years and older. Also, about 51.7% of the population is female, while the other 48.3% is male. The largest racial demographic in the city is the white alone group, which makes up about 59% of the population. The next largest group is those that identify as Black or African American, making up about 28% of the population. About 9% of the population identifies as Hispanic or Latino.

Approximately 84% of the population, ages 25 years and older, have at least their high school degree. About 27% of the population, ages 25 years and older, have at least their bachelor’s degree from some college or university.

Religion in Indianapolis

The percentage of the population of Indianapolis that identifies with a religious affiliation is lower than the national average. About 42% of the population identifies with some religious affiliation, compared to the national average of 49%. The largest denomination is the Roman Catholic Church, making up about 11% of the population. The next largest affiliation is the Baptist Church, making up about 10% of the population. The city also has a fairly large Methodist population, which makes up about 5% of the population.

Sports in Indianapolis

There are two major professional sports teams in the city of Indianapolis: Indiana Pacers and the Indianapolis Colts. The Indiana Pacers, based out of the city, participates in the National Basketball Association and they play in Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Pacers have won three NBA Championships. The Indianapolis Colts participates in the National Football League and they play in Lucas Oil Stadium. The Colts have won five Super Bowl Titles.

Another major sporting event takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway known as the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race, also known as the Indy 500. This race is considered to be the largest sporting event that occurs in a single day. Indy cars race over 500 miles to see which car finishes first. Another racing event that take place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is NASCAR’s Spring Cup Series’ Brickyard 400.

Indianapolis City Tour

Historical Population of Indianapolis

Over the course of the past few decades, the population of the city has remained fairly steady, despite going through some periods of slight decay and slight growth.  The population has been greater than both St. Louis, Missouri and Cincinnati, Ohio.

Year Population
1990 733,369
1991 739,141
1992 743,363
1993 745,308
1994 746,460
1995 746,179
1996 745,523
1997 743,793
1998 740,985
1999 738,907
2000 782,254
2001 785,672
2002 785,142
2003 786,235
2004 787,198
2005 789,250
2006 792,619
2007 796,611
2008 800,730
2009 807,584
2010 821,708
2011 827,609
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.