Boston Population 2013

boston-population-2013Boston Population 2013

The current population of the city of Boston, Massachusetts is estimated to be about 636,479, which is an increase of about 1.8% from the last record of the population. Not only is Boston the capital of Massachusetts, but also the largest city in the state. It is also the 21st largest city in the entire United States of America. Based on the total land area and the total population of the city, the population density of Boston is estimated to be about 13,143 people per square mile.

Demographics of Boston

About 5% of the population is under the age of 5 years, while about 10% of the population is 65 years and older. Also, about 52.1% of the population is female, while the other 47.9% of the population is male.
The largest racial demographic in the city of Boston is the white group, which makes up about 47% of the population. The next largest demographic is the Black or African American group, which makes up about 24% of the population. The Hispanic or Latino demographic makes up about 17.5% of the population. The Asian demographic makes up about 9% of the population.

About 84% of the population, ages 25 years and older, has at least their high school degree. Also, about 43% of the population, ages 25 years and older, has at least a bachelor’s degree from some college or university.

Religion in Boston

About 61% of the population of Boston identifies with a religious affiliation, compared to the national average of 49% of the country. The largest religious affiliation is the Roman Catholic Church, which makes up about 47% of the population. The next largest affiliation is the Baptist Church, which makes up about 2% of the population. Also, the Islamic population makes up about 1.1% of the population.

Ivy League Universities

The city of Boston is home to at least four major Ivy League universities: Harvard University, Cornell University, Yale University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. These universities have some of the most prestigious undergraduate and graduate programs in the country.

Boston Newspapers

The Boston Globe and the Boston Herald are two of the city’s major daily newspapers. The city is also served by other publications such as Boston magazine, The Improper Bostonian, Boston’s Weekly Dig, and the Boston edition of Metro. The Boston Globe also releases a teen publication to the city’s public high schools, called Teens in Print or T.i.P., which is written by the city’s teens and delivered quarterly within the school year. The Boston Globe is an American daily newspaper based in Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1872 by Charles H. Taylor, it was private held until 1973, when it went public as Affiliated Publications. The company was acquired in 1993 by The New York Times Company; two years later Boston.com was established as the newspaper’s online edition. In 2013, the company was sold to John W. Henry, a businessman whose other holdings include the Boston Red Sox.

Boston Top 10 Attractions

boston-population-sportsSports in Boston

The city of Boston has professional teams in four of the major sports: hockey, baseball, basketball, and football. Boston’s team in the National Hockey League is the Boston Bruins. The Bruins play in the TD Garden. Boston’s team represented in Major League Baseball is the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox play at Fenway Park. Boston’s team represented in the National Basketball Association is the Boston Celtics. The Celtics play in the TD Garden. Boston’s team represented by the National Football League is the New England Patriots. The Patriots are based out of Foxborough and play in Gillette Stadium.

Historical Population of Boston

Over the course of the past few decades, the population of Boston has gone through an up-and-down sequence of population growth. The population went through a larger population growth from 1999 to 2000 and also a large population decrease from 2009 to 2010.

Year Population
1990 572,479
1991 561,153
1992 552,476
1993 551,911
1994 550,871
1995 558,438
1996 556,189
1997 555,860
1998 554,948
1999 555,249
2000 590,433
2001 602,380
2002 607,931
2003 607,871
2004 607,367
2005 609,690
2006 612,192
2007 622,748
2008 636,748
2009 645,169
2010 618,147
2011 625,087
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.