San Jose Population 2013

San Jose Population 2013

The current population of the city of San Jose, California is estimated to be about 984,299, which is an increase of about 0.16% from the last record of the population.  The city is the third-largest city in the state of California and the tenth-most populous city in the entire country of the United States of America.  Based on the total land area and the total population of the city, the population density of San Jose is about 5576 people per square mile.

Demographics of San Jose

About 7% of the population is under the age of 5 years, while about 10% of the population is 65 years and older. About 49.7% of the population is female, while the other 50.3% of the population is male. The largest racial demographic in the city is the Hispanic or Latino demographic, making up about 33% of the population. The next largest group is the Asian demographic, making up about 32% of the population. Lastly, the white alone demographic makes up about 29% of the population.

82% of the population, ages 25 years and older, have at least their high school diploma. About 37% of the population, ages 25 years and older, have at least their bachelor’s degree from some college or university.

Religion in San Jose

About 44% of the population of San Jose associates with a religious affiliation. The largest of these affiliations is the Roman Catholic Church, making up about 26% of the population. Due to the high Asian population in the city, about 3.8% of the population practices some form of an Eastern religion, which is over seven times the national average. Lastly, the Islamic population makes up about 1.1% of the population.

Sports in San Jose

The city of San Jose has two professional sports teams: San Jose Shark and the San Jose Earthquakes. The San Jose Sharks participates in the National Hockey League and they play in the HP Pavilion, otherwise known as the Shark Tank. The team has only been around since the 1991-1992 season. The San Jose Earthquakes participates in Major League Soccer and they play in Spartan Stadium.

Tech Museum of San Jose

The Tech Museum in San Jose is a museum dedicated to the education of people of all ages about the different forms of technology and energy that exist today. The main focus, though, is how technology works and how it is integrated into society. A Mexican architect, by the name Riacrdo Legorreta, built the museum itself.

San Jose Capital of Silicon Valley

Historical Population of San Jose 

The population of San Jose over the course of the last few decades has gone through many different periods of growth.  There have been periods of highly positive growth, but also some spurts of negative growth.  The population of San Jose has been greater than the population of San Francisco, but less than the population of San Diego.

Year Population
1990 783,362
1991 787,847
1992 795,555
1993 804,223
1994 811,545
1995 821,467
1996 836,136
1997 851,528
1998 862,637
1999 867,675
2000 903,540
2001 909,260
2002 900,840
2003 898,564
2004 901,283
2005 908,870
2006 918,619
2007 931,344
2008 948,686
2009 964,695
2010 955,091
2011 967,487
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.